SirCam Virus

Mary-Ellen Mort memort at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 16:00:35 EDT 2001

Greetings--

For the last week I have been struggling with what looked
like a mail bombing in the  email account I use for my
public library website. JobStar.  I'd get 200Kb messages
every 20 minutes, each with a text attachment saying:
Hi How are you?
I send this file in order to have your advice
and a exe type attachment from 200-800KB (one was 4 Mb).

I just learned that this is the Sircam mass mailing e-mail
worm and it is spreading rapidly.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sircam.shtml
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6647394.html?tag=bplst

I stopped it by changing my email address & getting my
provider to NOT forward mail to the new address.
Admittedly this won't work for everyone. Even if you don't
open the attachment (not never) the volume of mail can
slow or shut you down.

But I send this message in case any of you is having the
same problem. I feel much better now that I know it's NOT
personal and have a NAME for the thing. I have alerted my
ISP and hope they can start to filter this out... At some
point I will put my NEW email on my site...but I think
I'll wait a day or two....

Mary-Ellen Mort
JobStar Director