Windows 2000, MSIE, and Input Methods Editor

Josh Kuperman josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Wed Jul 11 12:21:47 EDT 2001

I found than when I put as much font and language support as I could
on the public internet stations, many foreign (to me ) languages were
used. I found that a full MSIE with all the IME additions worked very
well because it installed the fonts and left an indicator of the
current language as well as a means to change it in the systray. (The
IME (input method editor) never worked for us either because I missed
something in the set up or there was some security problem with
fortres that I never figured out. I spent a little time with it, when
to my surprise, I actually had a patron who wanted Japanese.)

Apparently, this is built into Windows 2000. But I haven't quite
figured out how to use it. I installed Windows 2000 and Office 2000
professional on a workstation with all the language CDs that came
without (about 8 I think) With MSIE the web pages display properly. I
can manually select the encoding and even add an encoding selection
button to the toolbar.

I can not figure out how to input Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Cyrillic,
Hebrew, etc. text. I also can't figure out an easy way for patrons to
spot that the browser has the language and font support without the
IME displaying in the systray.

Has anyone experienced similar or have any ideas.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us