Use cases/user tasks for Web OPACs

Steve Toub stoub at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 10:42:48 EDT 2001

Hi--

I'm wondering if anyone out there has developed use cases or a task
inventory for an OPAC.

I'm not so much interested in strict UML use cases, but in getting a
user-centric view (Constantine & Lockwood style use cases; see
http://www.foruse.com/Files/Papers/structurestyle2.pdf) of

* all the possible tasks (e.g., find a known item by title; request an item
via ILL; pay a fine) a user could do with an OPAC; and

* for a particular task:
    - sequence of flow through the task
    - relationships between tasks
    - error conditions, exceptions, etc.

I'm trying to wrap my hands around the user's experience and flow through an
OPAC and I'm thinking someone must've done this before...

Thanks!
    --SET

Steve Toub
stoub at yahoo.com