outsourcing web sites

Luck, Deanne LuckDL at apsu.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:36:06 EDT 2001

I'm teaching a workshop next week on web site design and want to include a
section on the pros and cons of outsourcing library web site creation and
maintenance.  Not having any personal experience, I hope the Wisdom of the
List can help me.  My class mainly consists of small college and medium
public libraries...not one-person operations but not large enough to have a
lot of technical expertise in-house.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?  If a library decides to
outsource, what kind of (affordable) people should they hire, and where
should they find them?  What should they expect to pay, for what sort of
service?  How about contracts?

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience in this area.

Thanks,
DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian
Austin Peay State University