[WEB4LIB] Re: flash image on our home page

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:39:02 EDT 2001

I think that the primary reason given for rejecting such technology is load time.  This is a problem for all Web development - balancing technology that is available to developers with the technology that is available to users.  When the latter is unknown or quite varied, then the problem is even harder to solve.

The simplest solution, yet least palatable to developers, is to develop to the lowest common denominator. The more complex solutions require gathering user information (via surveys, user logs, etc.) and developing dynamic systems that can adapt to the technology available to the user.  The Flash/Non-Flash router of Jim's page is a good example, yet this is obviously not enough if most of these users are accessing the page remotely using 56K modems.

The developer can also enrich the site by using server-sided systems as much as possible.

When the technology available to the user is known and similar to the technology available to the developer, then the door can be opened much wider to integrate such technology to enrich the system.

Things we consider before integrating higher-technologies into our site include:
1) The technological standards of the *users of the system we are designing*.  This user group may or may not be the same as the users of our main site.

2) The advantages and disadvantages of including the high-technology, including how it can and cannot enrich and enhance the site.

3) Alternative solutions, include parallel systems (low-tech/high-tech), server-sided systems, etc.

Most developers understand that the use of new technologies needs to examined carefully with an eye on the end-user's actual (not perceived) experience.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 7/5/01 8:15:32 AM >>>
"Flash is good for games, situations where animation is mandatory, and
presentations to small children, but should be exorcised from
situations where textual methods are adequate. This means libraries
(except maybe for children's libraries)."

I am disturbed by the broad condemnation of any technology as the quote
above from Tony Barry suggests.  Flash works very well in instruction and
other situations.  It has been at least two decades since libraries (all
types) have been places "where textual methods are adequate."  We have to
reach out to the MTV generation.  I would bet that many librarians out there
are part of the MTV generation.  I believe it is entirely appropriate to use
flash and other animation methods on web pages as long as alternatives are
provided.  The flash on our library page serves a decorative and marketing
function.  It does not provide anything in terms of content. I see nothing
wrong with that.

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu