New General Web Search Tool--WISEnut

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Mon Jul 9 12:53:05 EDT 2001

Good Afternoon from D.C.

 Here is a url and a bit of info about a new/newly discovered general web
 search tool.

Hello to WISEnut
http://www.wisenut.com

 A Very Quick Overview
 --The WISEnut spider creates the WISEnut database.
 They do not purchase a database from a third party

 --No Boolean, + and - signs can be used

 --Searches 25 Languages

 --Provides an "adult" content filter, "WISEwatch"

 --Site clustering, number of results presented,
 languages searched can be set by user

 --Currency: I found several pages that were about 3 weeks old

 --Results Ranking, what they claim, "The patent-pending WISErank relevancy
ranking system is a revolutionary spam-proof way of using traditional text
analysis and the structure of the Web to evaluate and rank pages. Its
context-sensitive link analysis not only measures the relative importance of
a given page, but also determines the relative relevancy of that page for a
given query. In order to implement this complex and comprehensive measure of
relevancy, WISEnut has developed ways to compute ranking algorithms
significantly faster than the competition."

--WISEguide: At the top of a results page WISEguide clusters similar results
into "query-related" categories.
WISEnut was founded by one of the co-founders of MySimon, Yeogirl Yun

More details via this white paper.
http://www.wisenut.com/pdf/WISEnutWhitePaper.pdf

Even more related links on my weblog along with news of a few changes at
AllTheWeb.Com
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

cheers,
gary

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu