Column on HTML Editors

Paul F. Schaffner pfs at umich.edu
Mon Jul 9 10:43:59 EDT 2001

> > Am I the only one who still uses Vi, emacs and Pico?

> Nope.  I still use ... Textpad on Windows (which I find more
> intuitive than NoteTab, but YMMV).
> [If you use a text editor,] you can continue to use the tool you know
> rather than switching back and forth.

TextPad is my default working environment too, as it is for most of our
text encoding group (we're on Win NT 4, for the most part). We work mostly
in SGML, a little in XML, and constantly and casually in HTML, often
with multiple files simultaneously and with files of considerable size
(10MB+). TextPad offers syntax coloring, syntax-aware searching, a great
cross-file search interface, and full regular expression support (rather
better than that of NoteTab, but not quite up to that of Perl).
External validation (e.g. with NSGMLS) is simple. And you don't need to
switch tools when turning to work on text files, batch files, perl
scripts, or even MARC records.

Src: TextPad: www.textpad.com (cost: $27/indiv.license)
     NSGMLS:  www.jclark.com/sp/index.htm (cost: free)

Paul Schaffner | pfs at umich.edu | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/
Text-encoding group, Univ. of Michigan Digital Library Production Svc