[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Jul 30 10:27:31 EDT 2001

"Drew, Bill" wrote:

> also get several of the "free" trade journals; Interactive Week and others.
> When they first started the majority of articles was on how busnesses and
> others were using the new technologies of the internet.  Now again they are
> dominated by what company is taking over what other company.
>
> Sorry about this whining.

    I don't see it as whining at all. It's a legit concern. The problem I've
seen recently is that companies are buying other companies at an unprecedented
rate. Those who aren't buying or are being bought (if that makes any sense) seem
to be going down the drain pretty fast. Why is this a problem? Well, why should
some computer scientist or electronic engineer work hard on their project if: a)
They might be bought out next week and the project gets canceled, b) They might
get bought out next week and a completely uninformed person is stuck at the head
of the project, or c) The company is experiencing financial difficulties and
money may be tight or non existent from week to week. I may be wrong on this as
I am not a businessman, but I am human and I know that I wouldn't be working
extremely hard on something knowing that I may not be allowed to finish it, or
if I do I might not get credit for it.
    I think some companies have forgotten that technology tends to progress in
baby steps. We didn't go from a 486SX/33 to a 1.3 GHz Pentium IV overnight. They
seem to want miracle breakthroughs occurring overnight that double our current
technology usefulness. I wonder how many projects that could have furthered
technology and computing in a major way get cut in corporate buyouts or dot com
failures?

Just my opinion. That and $3.50 gets you overpriced coffee at the Starbucks.
Dan
--

Mondai wa
The subject in queston...