[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Mon Jul 30 04:56:09 EDT 2001

I think Bill was lamenting the dominance of company news reporting in outlets that proport to be technology oriented.  Too much reporting on the IT beat merely regurgitates press releases, adding no more value than Internet Wire does.  I think he wants more IEEE Computer and Scientific American reportage, and less of Business 2.0, Cnet, and digital Rona Barrett.  There's more of the latter because that's where the money is.

Popular Science represents yet another genre, with a lot of "popular" and not much "science."  I'm still waiting for my personal helicopter and my car with a flywheel energy storage unit.  Let's hope PS covers the microwave ovens with broadband connections so we don't have to read about 'em elsewhere.

/rich