[WEB4LIB] Re: Predictions for the next...

Shirl Kennedy sdk at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 19:06:33 EST 2001

...and Andy Oram of O'Reilly and Associates weighs in with his list...

http://www.oreilly.com/news/predictions_1200.html

I humbly call your attention to item #7:
The field of Library Sciences will become the next hot career path.
The current buzz about XML and related specifications is like getting
excited about a new device for cutting glass. It won't be long before
companies go to the next stage and realize they need to hire people who can
create stained glass windows. (If medieval builders were as focused on
technology as we are, tourists would be looking at a bunch of transparent
dodecahedrons instead of the Sainte-Chapelle.) So, corporations using new
schemas to index and organize information will suddenly discover the
importance of expertise in that field. Even as public libraries continue to
shrink, new schools of Library Science will pop up and salaries for
librarians (perhaps with new monikers like "information architect") will
skyrocket.

Shirl Kennedy
Web Guide Manager
eCompany Now