Censored by Boston Public Library Departments Curators

Don Saklad dsaklad at gnu.org
Sun Jan 28 17:29:36 EST 2001

1. Could the public documents of our cities' public
   libraries be made available via the web?...

2. How would people interested, concerned or affected
   by a particular BPL action or matter read our
   legitimately public BPL departments' curators'
   collection development reports and policies?...

Our Regional and our so called Massachusetts Library of Last Recourse
City of Boston Public Library Departments' Curators have censored
legitimately public departmental collection development reports
and policies flouting The Library Bill of Rights
http://www.ala.org/work/freedom/interprt.html
http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/oifsitemap.html
http://GuideToProblematicalLibraryUse.weblogs.com/stories

Our BPL barriers to access keep at too long an arms reach greater
public participation in our public libraries long range planning.

Information that would enable the public to hold the government
accountable for any of its operations or activities is a
significant contribution to public understanding.

One of the dangers is that the adverse censoring could be politically
motivated, and that agencies could begin to entomb themselves
from public scrutiny.

Deflecting people asking for access could endanger the
integrity of precious information collections.

The information is relevant or of current interest to the general
public and our public library board.

One would think that our Boston Public Library Departments' Curators
would be happy to cooperate with such a laudible civic interest
encouraging people who would read what are considered public
records but they usually fight such requests for these records
tooth and nail, every step of the way.