[WEB4LIB] Re: CD/DVD Server Purchase

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Wed Jan 24 18:31:17 EST 2001

TMGB wrote:

> You may want to look at http://www.axis.com Axis Communications.  I am
> having to put their Axis StorPoint in two of my CD Towers now because
> There are no more updates to Merridian's CD Net software which is the
> server/client software that won't run on W2K.  The StorPoint will
> support 7/14 SCSI drives depending on which model you get.  The
> StorPoint can cache whole CDs to HardDrive at a very high compression is
> my understanding. The StorPoint works with multiple protocols SMB,
> Netware (various versions), AppleTalk...
>
> Here, never mind all that, I just copied the informative PDF file to
>
> http://linux.library.appstate.edu/cdds.pdf
>
> Thomas
>
> David Glick wrote:
> >
> > I'm shopping for a CD/DVD Server and was wondering if anyone else out there
> > had recently purchased one.  Most likely I will end up purchasing a jukebox
> > with multiple drives or some sort of server where CD/DVD resources are
> > copied to a harddrive and served up from there.
> >
> > A little background:  I just started this job a month ago and am trying to
> > find a solution to network approximately 100 cd's with enormous potential
> > for future growth.  This library has never had any servers of its own and I
> > am trying to find a (cost-effective) solution.
> >
> > Any thoughts?  Recommendations on servers or companies?

I particularly like the newer StorPoints with the hard disc caching and
10/100 interface.  Although it is limited physically to 7 or 14 devices,
for networking CDs all you need is a single CD drive, and then as much
hard disk space as you can stand.  It is SOMETIMES necessary to have
additional CD drives for those nasty apps that simple refuse to run from
hard disk, but these are few (but they lurk!).

I like the Allion product, too.  It handles both CDs and DVDs, and can
also deliver audio CDs across your network by dynamically converting the
tracks to WAV files, and then streaming them to the client for use with
something like Windows Media Player.  Cool.  Allion uses IDE technology,
where the Axis unit uses SCSI.  Allion also has a utility that allows
you to cache a CD to the hard drive over the network, so you don't need
a CD drive on the unit itself (excepted possibly as noted above).  In my
testing, another difference I noticed is that the Allion unit will run
100mbs FULL duplex, where the Axis unit is HALF duplex.  If you've got
the infrastructure to support it, could make a difference.

Both products can be managed with a browser, and support all major
networks.  The Allion product can have up to 8 separate IP addresses,
each with its own home page.  So if you want different user groups to
see a different set of discs, can do.  Candidly, I would say the Axis
unit is a bit more 'polished', but the Allion unit can be less expensive
since IDE devices are generally less expensive than SCSI, if you're
starting from scratch.  If you're converting an existing tower, Axis is
the ticket.

FWIW, I resell both these units.  If I can provide additional help,
please contact me privately.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
Internet/Remote Access - Thin Client Computing - Network Storage
Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider