[WEB4LIB] another remote authentication query

Donald Barclay dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:37:35 EST 2001

Gregory,

The scheme your IT department proposes sounds a bit iffy to me. Some
providers of electronic resources (High Wire Press is, I believe, one
example) rely on IP address, not user passwords. The only passwords involved
with a provider such as High Wire are administrator passwords, and you don't
want those being used in conjunction with user accounts, background or no
background. Anyone who goes in on an administrator account can wreak havoc,
and sooner or later some user will figure out that they have this power.

You might be able to work out some kind of special user-password arrangement
with the resource provider, but this means extra work and opens the
possibility for all kinds of snags.

I would encourage your IT department to think this through a little more.
Theirs may be one of those solutions that works in 95% of the cases, but
that's really not good enough if it means your library users are cut off
from a major electronic resource or two.

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-                         always the beautiful
answer
Texas Medical Center Library                         who asks a more
beautiful question
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu                                     --e.e. cummings
713-799-7120