Address bar conundrum

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jan 23 16:42:41 EST 2001

I searched the archives and couldn't find a solution for this...

We want people to *have* to enter a library card number and PIN on an html
form in
order to use the Internet in our library.  We are using IE 5.5.  How can we
remove the address bar when someone starts up IE from the desktop link, but
then add it back once they fill out the form and are authenticated?  Right
now they can ignore the form entirely by typing the address that they want.
We can open a new window without the
address bar using javascript, but the new window doesn't have the permission
to close the original window without confirmation; therefore patrons can
ignore the login form and go right to any other site.

Gratefully anticipating assistance with this conundrum,

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director for Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, NY
www.shenpublib.org