[WEB4LIB] Proxy v. Proxy

Mark Pecaut pecautm at missouri.edu
Mon Jan 22 12:58:49 EST 2001

We use Ezproxy.  Our databases page detects whether you are
coming from off-campus or on-campus.  If you are coming from
on-campus, you are able to connect directly to the database.
If you are coming from off-campus, you are asked for a username
and password and then given transparent proxy access to the
database.  This is done all transparently to the user, with no
browser configuration required, and it uses our campus-wide
email username/password to do the authentication (so users don't
need to learn another username/password).

We used to use apache mod_proxy, and we had constant trouble
helping people configure their browsers and troubleshooting
problems with their custom username/password.  The system
we have now works very well, we have no complaints with
ezproxy, and our user's don't need to know anything beyond
their campus email username/password.

I plan on putting up instructions on providing seamless database
access for users using this system.  If you are interested
in this, email me off-list and I will send you the url when
the instruction page is ready.

-Mark