[WEB4LIB] An Informal ColdFusion Survey

Brian Westra bwestra at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 19 12:04:47 EST 2001

I've done a number of projects with ColdFusion, and it's worked well to
meet those needs. I know many of you have had great success with other
approaches to building Web applications, and I think there are pros and
cons to each approach. In each case, someone has to make a decision as to
what will work best within the constraints of available staffing and
technical expertise, hardware, total cost of ownership, and other
parameters. Personally, I'm not sure that it serves anyone to get into some
kind of evangelistic fervor over Web application server platforms; I wish I
had the time to play around with several different options. As it is, I
think you find what works for you and go with it.

At the Health Sciences Library, in the next iteration of HealthLinks, we
will be using ColdFusion 4.5 on Windows 2000, with IIS 5 (and Linux/Apache
for static pages that ColdFusion writes out); SQL Server 7 is on a separate
Windows 2000 server.

As others have pointed out, there are many useful resources out there. For
those of you who are working with ColdFusion, there is a small "ColdFusion
for Libraries" discussion list. For more information and other resources,
please see  http://faculty.washington.edu/bwestra/cflist.html

Brian Westra
Library Systems
Health Sciences Library, University of Washington
bwestra at u.washington.edu     206-543-7497