TeamSoft Kudos

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Jan 19 10:34:49 EST 2001

My one major hesitation about using something developed by folks as a hobby
is concern that when work is pressing they won't be available for support.
The fallacy with this argument, of course, is that commercial browser
developers are not exactly bending over backwards to provide the
customizations we in the public computer support industry need.

Case in point: Microsoft did provide some excellent browser policy files for
5.0.  We use system policy to remove buttons, grey out features, etc. These
policy files work pretty well with 5.5, and I've found a couple of group
policy tweaks to add on top of it (for example, the text at the top of the
browser can be modified, and Help/Online Support now points to our own
contact page).  But I can't disable File/Send To, although we've removed the
ability to *use* those features through a combo of system policy, group
membership and Fortres.  So if the patron hits File/Send To, the browser
crashes.  It's not pernicious, it's just annoying. I haven't found a policy
file that will do this (or the few other things on my short list), and from
scouring group policy I can't see where win2k group policy supports this
(though feel free to come forth with the magical adm file to make this
happen).

If I knew that the Public Web Browser offered the capability to disable
File/Send To, that would be the tipping point to test it on a small group
from our latest batch of upgrades--say, four new webstations we're rolling
out next week.  (Win2k Professional in an NT 4 domain, fwiw)

As for Gary... you know the drill... if Big Brother says you shouldn't be
looking at it... why would you possibly dare to disagree with him?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director for Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, NY
www.shenpublib.org