[WEB4LIB] Re: An Informal ColdFusion Survey

Stephen Westman westman.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 19 09:23:20 EST 2001

It is my understanding that, when deciding to use ColdFusion, you need to
take into account whether you are (or will be) using any flavor of Unix for
your web services.  Last year, we were looking at implementing ColdFusion
here at my institution.  In doing research, I came across a review of the
product
(http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/software/coldfusion_problems.html0
that indicated that it might have scalability and other rather nasty
problems on Unix servers (which we use for all of our Web services).  Since
that review appeared I did some more investigation on Allaire's web site
(as well as posting to this group) to see if the problems detailed in that
version (4.0) had been fixed in 4.5.  While Allaire did appear to have done
a rewrite of much of the code to be for the Unix platform as part of
version 4.5 (previously it had been a port of Windows code), it appears
that problems do still exist.

Given the mission-critical nature of our web services, I decided to look
into PHP as an alternative.  While it requires a bit more of a programmer
mind set to use the product, the level of expertise is not onerous for
someone who has had ANY type of programming experience.  In addition, we
have had wonderful success in doing rapid web-site development using the
product (far quicker than when we were using perl for our database-backed
web publishing).  For example, it took me about an hour to create my first
"webbed" database application in PHP (and that hour included learning PHP's
syntax). It has been extremely stable and the response time (using mod_php
with Apache) is very good.  Also, given that the main Ohio State University
web server has moved to a php/MySQL-based home page, it is also obviously
scalable.  More information can be found at:

         http://www.WebDevelopersJournal.com/articles/why_php.html
         http://idm.internet.com/articles/200005/php_05_30_00a.html

Our development time was also reduced by using the PHP base library
(available at http://phplib.netuse.de/index.php3) which includes good
authentication, session handling, and database handling tools (check out
http://phplib.netuse.de/about/features/ for more details).

As far as support is concerned, PHP is increasingly well documented (here
are currently over 30 books listed at amazon.com) and loads of web pages
(see the "Why PHP site above to get started looking for them) that can get
you started (as well as providing example source code that you can adapt to
your own needs).  Given that the (increasingly) large number of users on
the web (from under 500,000 in January of 1999 to almost 5 million at the
end of last year - see http://www.php.net/usage.php for more details),
there are several forums as well as a large number of web sites where PHP
development is discussed.  There are even PHP user groups appearing in a
large number of cities around the country and world.  For a listing, go to:

         http://www.phpusergroups.org/

There are even locations (including some user groups, as in the user group
from Ann Arbor) that offer classes in the use of the language.

The bottom line (IMNSHO) is that, if you are using an NT platform for your
web services, ColdFusion could be a good product to use (although you
should probably at least look into PHP since there are reports that it
works better even in the NT environment).  However, if you are using (or
would ever consider moving to) Unix or Linux for your web server, I would
consider PHP to be a much safer investment of time and energy.

At 05:02 PM 01/18/2001 -0800, Dan Lester wrote:
>Thursday, January 18, 2001, 5:30:09 PM, you wrote:
>
>RW> Just a quick comment: you should probably consider looking at the 'open'
>RW> PHP as a more progressive alternative to the proprietary Cold Fusion.
>RW> PHP is 'cross-platform friendly' to the best of my knowledge, and just
>RW> surpassed the 'being used on 5 million websites' mark quite recently.
>
>Nothing against PHP or other open source solutions.  However, CF is
>well documented, well supported, and has solid training available for
>a fee.  It doesn't completely ignore the "open source" world, as a
>great many custom tags have been written for CF by users, and made
>available for others to use.
>
>In many environments it is better to spend a little money on a
>commercial product rather than putting all your eggs into a basket
>supported by everybody and nobody.
>
>And, yes, we use both commercial and open source software, plus
>shareware (paid for, of course), postcardware, etc.
>
>cheers
>
>dan
>
>--
>Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
>3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA
>www.riverofdata.com  www.postcard.org  www.gailndan.com

Stephen R. Westman
Digital Resources Systems Administrator
Ohio State University Libraries