Live help no longer free from WebHelp.com??

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Mon Jan 15 23:24:12 EST 2001

Those of you who know me know that I tend to cite WebHelp.com as an example
of the potential demand for digital reference services. Basically, WebHelp
uses Web-based customer call center software to allow the general public to
ask "reference" questions live via the Web. This service has been available
for over a year, and about 10-12 months ago WebHelp claimed to be getting
250,000 "visits" per day. I even cited WebHelp during my "Live from DC"
presentation this past Saturday.

Well....it now looks like this "live help" service from WebHelp will no
longer be free. While WebHelp will continue to offer automated search
services for free on the WebHelp portal, folks now will have to pay to get a
real live person to answer their questions (see following note I received
earlier today).

Basically, when you go to the service, you are invited to "Ask your question
now". The results that first appear come from automated sources. On the
results page you'll find a "click here for a real person" icon. Click on
that and you'll get a page that notes "access to live help for members
only." You then have to sign up for their "Express Service".

The cost is not outrageous ($9.95 per month). And WebHelp has always had
this "express service" option. Just makes me wonder why the free live
service has been dropped??

Bernie Sloan