web templates

Suzanne Reymer sreymer at uswest.net
Thu Jan 11 12:43:46 EST 2001

The Montana state Information Services Department has created a web template which it has suggested the various state agencies use.  The Montana State Library
web development team is in the process of evaluating whether and how this template could be used by the state library.  I'm unclear as to the intent behind the
implementation of a state agency template.  This is the first I've ever heard of imposing templates on agencies/departments within an organization.  I don't know
whether they want to insure a uniform look to all the state pages or are just trying to get some lagging agencies to improve their web pages.  I don't particularly like
templates myself.  I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted futzing around with MS Word templates.  And I'm far from convinced that this one size fits all template
approach will meet the needs of our library.    The javascript embedded in the version we're considering would probably make it too difficult for our current web person
to customize in any significant way.  And I'm concerned that a template may be too constraining for the webmaster we're hoping to hire in the near future.  But, on the
other hand, I think a web template may be a useful tool for some of our small rural public libraries who have yet to establish a web presence.  All of our public libraries
received Gates computers with FrontPage last year.  I'm planning to conduct a workshop on library web pages for beginners at our Summer Institute.  I think a web
template may provide a useful starting point.

So, I'm looking for information on others' experiences working with web templates in either of these two areas.  For those of you who might have created a website
using a template, was it a time-saver or a source of frustration?  Did you just stay within the bounds of the template or did you make customize and make significant
modifications to it.  And for those of you who might have created templates for others to use, I'd be interested in hearing whether or not you found it a worthwhile
endeavor.  Why or why not?

And thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on how to work more effectively with FrontPage.  As you can see, the frustrating experience hasn't been for nought.
One of the reasons I didn't fight having to use FrontPage myself was that I knew the public libraries would be receiving it with their computers from the Gates
Foundation.  It wasn't until I had some experience with it myself that I could consider helping others use it to get started on the web.

Suzanne
**************************************
Suzanne Reymer
Statewide Technology Librarian