[WEB4LIB] Re: Use of DDC in web displays

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Tue Jan 2 12:19:51 EST 2001

At 8:34 AM -0800 1/2/01, Debra Shapiro wrote:
>as they require, and their other requirement:  "We also require that
>such display of Dewey numbers and captions reflect the latest
>edition of the DDC, and carry notice of our copyrights and
>trademarks." is not so bad either, see BUBLink's Dewey display:
>http://bubl.ac.uk/link/ddc.html
>for an example.

 From that site:
"Use of the DDC on this Web site is authorized by OCLC Online
Computer Library Center, Incorporated.
Further use of the DDC or linking to this Web site by third parties
requires prior written permission from OCLC. "

!?!&$^%#!

Having that statement on a web site, let alone requiring it, is not
only obnoxious, it's idiotic to the point of absurdity. You linked to
it, you violated the "license" by putting the URL in your message!

Eric

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure