netLibrary records in OPAC

Luck, Deanne LuckDL at apsu.edu
Wed Jan 17 10:42:29 EST 2001

We are considering adding MARC records to our OPAC for all the netLibrary
ebooks we have access to.   As we understand it, the records come from OCLC
with the URL pointing directly to the individual book.  How this is going to
work with our patron authentication is the question.

As I see it, we have three options:
1. Edit all 10,000+ records to point to the proxy server, and set up 10,000+
profiles on the server (yeah, right)
2. Globally change the URLs to a generic netLibrary profile on the server,
requiring the patron to look up the book again after getting into netLibrary
3.  Leave the URLs as is, using some other method to let patrons know they
must log in from on-campus (or through the proxy server) and create their
personal netLibrary account before using ebooks in the OPAC
4. Some combination of #2 and #3

I hope some of you knowledgeable folks out there have dealt with this issue
already and can share your wisdom.  Perhaps this is not as big a problem as
I am making it out to be (she says hopefully).

TIA,
DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian
Austin Peay State University