[WEB4LIB] one size for all? What I learned.

Christopher LeBlanc leblanc at almark.lamar.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:47:35 EST 2001

> After much good advice, I tested two pages that were having problems when
> viewed on computers with IE (version  5.00.2919.6307CO). Most solutions
> involved setting table properties for width.  I also looked at cell
> properties and changed them to per cents that added up to 100 percent for
> the entire table.  (As 45 + 20 +35 for three columns.)  One I set the width
> percent to 100 on the table properties (using Front Page 2000 as the editor)
> and the other I set it at 600 pixels.  Both were not perfect and seem to
> support a theory that there is some padding in the process.  (Check it out
> at http://www.alistapart.com/stories/journey/4.html.

Look at the source code for the file.  In the <TABLE> tag there will be
some other things about WIDTH=??? and whatever, take a look and see if
there is a CELLPADDING=?? and/or CELLSPACING=??.  If not, IE may be
defaulting to a value of 1 or so.  If you have set the WIDTH of the
table, and the width of each of the columns, and those columns add up to
100%, then you have the problem on no space left over for padding.  Make
the first two columns with width specified, then leave the last one
blank, it will fill in the rest of the available space.

I hope that helps.

Christopher LeBlanc
Lamar University Library
Beaumont, Texas