[WEB4LIB] Setting Default Printers for NT Workstations

Charles Gambrell cbgamb at acan.net
Wed Feb 28 08:52:17 EST 2001

Look at con2prt.exe.  It can be scripted to attach to a network
printer.  We do it at the logon script.  con2prt.exe resides in the path on
the local workstation.  Also allows you to attach more than one printer,
pick a default printer from several attached, and if a printer goes out of
service, change the script and direct to a new printer.

At 05:39 AM 2/28/2001 -0800, Edwards Teresa wrote:
>To provide students the least confusing print options when they are in the
>library, we're looking at setting a default printer for our NT workstations
>by using a program (scripting language) on the local drive. If you have
>found a way to do this, we would be grateful to know how you did it.
>
>The goal is to set all the workstations on each floor to default to the
>printstation on the same floor. It will reduce the frustration of "the case
>of the disappearing research." Our IT colleagues are considering various
>options but lean towards this one.
>
>With thanks in advance,
>
>Teresa Edwards
>Assoc. Dean of University Libraries for Systems
>St. John's University
>8000 Utopia Parkway
>Jamaica, NY 11439
>718.990.6066                      Fax: 718.990.2074
>edwardst at stjohns.edu

Charles B. Gambrell
System Automation Assistant Manager

Mobile Public Library