[WEB4LIB]RE: Sort of an easy question - how to write a page that fits at 640 b y 480

Christopher LeBlanc leblanc at ALMARK.LAMAR.EDU
Tue Feb 27 08:43:27 EST 2001

"Masters, Gary E" wrote:

> If anyone wants to toss a few "every knows" please feel free.  I don't.  Am
> doing a FOI web page for March 16 and have a page that looks very good on my
> monitor (1024 by 768).  On my supervisor's monitor (640 by 480) it is not so
> good.  I am using Front Page 2000 and there ought to be a way to make the
> table width a percent of the screen rather than an absolute dimension.  But
> I haven't found it yet.
>
> Any hints?

 One thing you could try, would be to make the table 600 pixels wide.
That way it would account for the scroll bars and anything else that
would use up the other 40 pixels.  This would create a table that only
fills up 1/2 of the width of your screen, but I think that most people
would not have a problem with that.

Other than that, in FrontPage, if you right click on a TABLE and choose
PROPERTIES, then the box for SPECIFY WIDTH, should have a choice for
either the width IN PIXELS (the exact amount) or IN PERCENT.  Then you
can just tell it 100 and choose IN PERCENT for it to fill the width of
the screen.

Another important issue with setting table width is that anything over ~
600 pixels wide will not print correctly on Portrait settings, but must
go to Landscape mode on the printer.  Remember, many people still print
because it is easier to read than on a screen, and it is easier to take
with you.

Thanks,

Christopher LeBlanc
Lamar University Library