[WEB4LIB] RE: next big thing (open source problems)

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Wed Feb 21 16:54:22 EST 2001

This wasn't an "attack" on Aaron's part, Christopher. I should have only
included Mark Pecault's remarks on "happy perspective" when I mentioned
open source to begin with (oops; can't close a sentence with a
preposition).  My reply made it sound as if I was lumping in Mark's
comments on gloom and doom with his happy perspective comments; I was
hoping to hear what others had to say on open source.  Clear as mud?  Me
too.

We run a bunch of open source software here at our library, I'm interested
in oss, I'm doing a presentation on oss at a regional conference in a
couple of months, and I was just curious to hear what others had to say.

I agree with your comments below.  Eric Raymond writes on p.40 of the
O'Reilly edition of _The Cathedral and the Bazaar_ that "given enough
eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."  Works for me.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu