[WEB4LIB] Opera browser problems

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Fri Feb 16 17:30:15 EST 2001

My December query was for a column in Library Journal which was published in January. The responses to that query and others lead me to believe that Opera in fact is used at very few public libraries -- a small percentage offer it at all, and virtually none use it exclusively.

My thesis had been that even though Opera costs money (or adware) it would be cheaper to pay for the software than upgrade hardware. One theme in the replies was that many library computer labs actually have pretty current hardware. One reason cited was Y2K preparations in 1999.  Another was donations from the Gates Foundation.  If your standard fleet PC has got a 400 MHz P-II with 64M or better, you may not need Opera's efficiency as much as a facility with older hardware.

/rich

(Richard Wiggins asked on 8 December if libraries were using it in large numbers - any response?)
Richard Wiggins
Consulting, Writing & Training on Internet Topics
http://www.netfact.com/rww  wiggins at mail.com
517-349-6919 (home office)  517-353-4955 (work)
http://www.netfact.com/rww  wiggins at mail.com
517-349-6919 (home office)  517-353-4955 (work)