[WEB4LIB] Z39.50

Kitty Au aukitty at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 23:06:26 EST 2001

We did generate good discussion, didn't we?

The comment I quoted was made on the protocol as a whole, not any Z
products.  And, the context was a discussion on searching across library
OPACs.

My 2 cents --- just as a user, not a guru or a developer.

The various implementation options by different z servers that lead to
interesting search results can be quite "annoying".  Some WEB4LIB'ers
rightly pointed out limitations.  To me, these are areas for improvements,
rather than negative qualifers for its dying.  And, Dublin core, XML, etc.
are more on / related to metadata. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Other than Z39.50, what can be used now to search acorss library OPACs more
efficiently and effectively now?  Would welcome information on technologies
and projects of this type.

Thanks.

Kitty Au