Z39.50 Discussion on Web4Lib

Matthew Dovey matthew.dovey at las.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 18:22:26 EST 2001

Interesting on two counts of technical inaccuracy (and possible propogation
of myths we need to dispell)

> There are scalability issues with Z39.50.  Multithreaded searching of more
> than 5-7 institutions at a time can result in bottlenecks due to the
> client/server communications overhead.

Sebastian Hammer from IndexData has successfully searched about 200 Z39.50
targets simultaneously acheiving the same response time as searching 1
target. In fact the response time is determined by the slowest Z39.50
server, so when searching 200 you are statistically more likely to hit one
which is slow (due to insufficient hardware etc.) or down which can make the
search appear slower.

Of course it is possible to write bad multithreading code as well as good
efficient multithreading code, and I suspect that some programmers may have
made the claim you can't search more that 7 targets claim to cover poor
performance in their clients....

> Z39.50 uses, eseentially, the same registry concept that
> RDF, digital certificates and handles technology employ.  However, the
> client/server registry adds networking overhead.

This is not really true and essentially misleading. Z39.50 per se does not
really have a registry concept and certainly does not need one to work.
There are extensions (Explain and more recently Explain-lite) which allows
registry type applications but these are certainly not core to the protocol,
and many Z39.50 servers and clients do not even support these.

Matthew Dovey
Oxford University