[WEB4LIB] Re: Z39.50

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Feb 9 12:26:54 EST 2001

I wonder if the person who said it was dying was referring to clients
dying.  I read something in the last week or so from some "reliable
source", perhaps in a recent eContent or Online, that talked about
Z39.50 standalone clients being a dying breed, but not the whole
protocol.  That seems fairly reasonable to me, since everything is
moving to the browser view.

I also understand that a number of ILS vendors are moving away from
using Z39.50 as an intermediary between their native OPAC and their
web OPAC.  Walt, what figures do you have on that?

cheers

dan

Wnro> I'm a little taken aback by that too. Let's see. ProCite and EndNote both
Wnro> embed Z39.50 clients. Unless I'm mistaken (quite possible), most good
Wnro> online catalogs can serve as Z39.50 clients or Z39.50 servers. Z39.50
Wnro> searching is fundamental to ISO-standard ILL. I know UC's statewide system
Wnro> makes heavy use of Z39.50, as do quite a few other systems.

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA