[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6.01 Browser-Suite Released

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:03:23 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Mutch" <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 7:50 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6.01 Browser-Suite Released

> This has been a question I've had for a while, so I might as well ask
> it.  I'm sure that someone knows the answer.
>
> What's the difference between the Mozilla builds, like M18, and the
> Mozilla Milestones, like version 0.8?  I've looked at the Mozilla site
> and I wasn't able to find anything that really explained the
> differences.  Also, how is what Mozilla releasing related to what
> Netscape is distributing?

After M18, mozilla.org revised its roadmap, and future major releases are
outside of the "M" numbering.  Instead, Mozilla 0.6 came out shortly after
Netscape 6 as a way of putting back together two development efforts that
temporarily diverged (and to put MathML development into the mix, IIRC).
Mozilla 0.7 came out about a month ago, 0.8 looks likely in the next week
or so.  If things go smoothly, Mozillia 1.0 is due this summer.  Bear in
mind that Mozilla isn't really intended as an end-user browser, but as a
code base from which others can develop their own browsers, e-mail
clients, etc.  The best description of mozilla.org's timeline is their
Roadmap at <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html>.

Netscape announced long ago that its post-NN4 products would be based on
software from mozilla.org.  NS6 was the first example of this, using code
from last September, at least 9 months before mozilla.org felt their
product was stable enough for a 1.0 designation.  6.01, released
yesterday, apparently consists of bug fixes to the September code, and
doesn't reflect substantial improvements to the main mozilla code base
since then.  This according to posts on the
netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey newsgroup.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu