[WEB4LIB] RE: Google and PDF

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Wed Feb 7 19:48:58 EST 2001

Hey, Danny, didn't know you were lurking here.  :-)

To me, this falls into the category of "Gee, it might be useful even if it's not in the headlines of Business 2.0 or  Internet.com."  A substantial fraction of the content on the Web is PDF.  AltaVista has long since had tools to index PDF.  So why not do it?  Instead, they concentrate on bragging about things such as "Find an MP3".

This is a part of the "invisible Web" that need never have been invisible.  Maybe AltaVista didn't perceive demand for PDF, but they had the technology, and now Google has leapfrogged them at something they could've done in 1997, when Google was a mere glint in Larry Page's eyes.

/rich