[WEB4LIB] FW: Questia vs Google vs bricks and mortar

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Thu Feb 1 17:27:17 EST 2001

Librarians at Cornell did a study recently, measuring the "link rot" rate of Web sites cited in term papers.  See: http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8

They found that 80% of all links were 404 within a few years of citation; 50% within six months.  I think that may actually overstate the problem, as Webmasters inevitably reorganize sites without necessarily invalidating the underlying content.

It's interesting analysis, not news to anyone who teaches undergrads these days.  But if the students go to the first item in the hit list after the first search they try using their first search engine, then Questia has as tough a marketing problem as the library does...

/rich