[WEB4LIB] RE: Questia: who is behind it?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Feb 1 16:56:20 EST 2001

DB> Steve asks "Why?"

DB> I support digitization of books.  Our library subscribes to netLibrary.
DB> Format of information does not matter to me.
DB> I am opposed to their marketing campaign.  If they want to compete with
DB> netLibrary market to libraries as well as individuals.

They apparently do NOT want to compete with netLibrary.  They
apparently think they've found a different niche where they can
establish primacy without competing with netLibrary and others.  They
may be right, or wrong, though I'll agree that it doesn't seem likely
they'll make it.

DB>  Don't make students
DB> pay for something they can get already paid for in their library.

No one is making anyone pay for anything.  No one ever made you buy a
book or a car or a pizza, did they?

DB> Also, do
DB> not add to the Digital Divide.

Yawn.  The digital divide is an invention of a bunch of liberal
whiners who don't have enough trees to hug.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA