[WEB4LIB] RE: Questia: who is behind it?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Feb 1 16:50:58 EST 2001

DB> I thought I made my self clear.  I have no problem with Questia digitizing
DB> and then selling their books on line.  I have a problem with them marketing
DB> it to students and bypassing libraries.

Bill,

People in business market things to their customers.  They've decided
their customers are students, and not libraries, at least in part
because that is the wish of those who are supplying the data.  Also,
students may be poor, but they're not as poor as libraries, and there
are a hell of a lot more of them.

Those in the pizza business also market to students, not libraries.
(Of course when they market to librarians, they will do quite well.)

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA