IE oddity - figured it out

Julia E. Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:21:00 EST 2001

My apologies; I didn't need to ask on the list; I figured out the answer myself.  It is extremely odd, though.

I was able to diagnose the problem when I realized that the bottom table on the govdocs topic guides had *one* row that had the problem, and *two* rows that didn't.

What happened:  Frontpage marked the cell width differently for some cells.  All the browsers used the table's column width to decide how to show the cell walls, but Internet Explorer displays the text only as wide as the cell width set in the <td> tag.  Netscape and FrontPage display the text as wide as the column.

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College
jschult at elmira.edu