[WEB4LIB] Patron Access Computer Security

Hambleton, John S. jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:01:53 EST 2001

At 03:12 PM 1/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I know that there has been a discussion before on patron access security
>but my colleague and I are pulling our hair out trying to find a suitable
>solution with the minimal of fuss.
>
>We currently have 5 Internet Stations and 2 WordProcessors that we are
>trying to protect from unwanted tinkering.  We are using Full control, but
>it has been bogging down our machines and they don't run very
>effectively.  We are alternately thinking about switching to Deep
>Freeze.  Tested it and I think it works great.  Is there something that we
>can do in addition (with Deep Freeze) that will hid icons on the desktop
>(network neighborhood, my computer) that will stop the even most tempted of
>patrons from fooling around.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>trn

You can hide those with Poledit (Windows Policy Editor). That, plus
changing file attributes of all files to 'hidden' made it such that only the
most determined can crack into a machine I set up in our Archives.
And they haven't yet.
JH

+ John S. "Dilbert" Hambleton
+ Computer Scientist and Eccentric