FW: [WEB4LIB] FileMaker

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mpls.lib.mn.us
Tue Feb 20 10:21:05 EST 2001

I've had to deal with FileMaker 3, 4, and 5 in a previous (non-library) job.

The major advance in FileMaker 5 is that you can now make a real, two-way
ODBC connection with a FileMaker database (on Windows, at least; haven't
looked at Mac). You can use ASP, PHP, CGI, or whatever for serving on the
web, you aren't limited to Lasso and the web stuff that comes shrinkwrapped
with FMPro.

My personal preference is not to use FileMaker for scripting due to its
heavy reliance on a graphical environment. I prefer commented, documented
source code; I also prefer to have a database be a simple warehouse, not an
all-in-one programming environment.

I'll note, though, a possible advantage to FileMaker: creating an FMPro
client app so that your staff users can enter items into the database is
flat easy; this could save time and effort in some situations.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library

  http://www.oswego.edu/library/archives/newspp.html

Currently, we are using FileMaker Pro 4.1.   I have a similar application
for e-journals, with 'how-to' info:
  http://www.oswego.edu/library/ejournals/how_to/

Our local newspaper index has existed since before 1980.  Indexing has
been done by a vast number of students, so is very uneven.
Technologically, this has gone through many generations:
  * card file
  * dBase III+ in-house file
  * dBase III+ file that created a WAIS index
  * FileMaker

Currently, we add new indexing off-line via dBase III+ and then import it
into FileMaker.  For historical and personality reasons, it works.

          -- Natalie

        Natalie Sturr                 sturr at oswego.edu
        Systems Librarian             http://www.oswego.edu/~sturr
        SUNY Oswego                   Voice:    (315) 312-3565
        Oswego, NY  13126             FAX:      (315) 312-3194

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Barbara Robeson wrote:

> We are going to index old editions of our local newspaper into a simple
database.  We will be designing the database soon.  Does anyone know of good
examples of local archival newspaper indexes that I can find on the Web to
check out how people are accomplishing this?