[WEB4LIB] Re:Digital Divide (was Re: RE: Questia: who is behind

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Feb 5 13:26:40 EST 2001

Monday, February 05, 2001, 11:02:17 AM, you wrote:

TE> All right you accademinc, its time for someone from the public library
TE> sector to put their two cents in.

TE> Here in Anaheim, 82% of the children that go to school within the
TE> Anaheim School District live below the poverty line.  They come to the
TE> public library to complete their school assignments because they do not
TE> have a computer at home.

TE> So don't tell me that the digital divide is a First World vs. Third
TE> World issue, we have it right here in Southern California.

And we have it in Idaho and everywhere else.  My point (and guaranteed
to be the last one on this topic, I promise) is that the problem isn't
computers.  The problem is economic.  The lack of computers is just a
symptom.  Let's focus on the big problems of education, jobs,
addiction, crime, et. al., and when some of those are handled better
the digital divide will go away, the same as plenty of the other
"divides" that you may care to so name.

We should focus on the problems, not the symptoms.  Treating symptoms
doesn't cure diseases.  And, no, I don't have a magic cure for the
diseases.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA