Re web database for catalogue

ernest perez eperez at sparkie.osl.state.or.us
Tue Feb 13 22:11:51 EST 2001

Yvonne Reynolds (Reynolds at nbict.nbi.ac.za) writes:
> We use Inmagic DBTEXT to run our small library database (about 30 000 refs) We would like to make this accessible via the web, but unfortunately cannot afford the price of the Inmagic Webpublisher product. Does anyone know of a simple, free (or very inexpensive) web database product we could populate with a few fields of data from our database to provide
> basic bibliographic references on the Web?

Yvonne,

I recommend you message Bestseller, Inc. and ask them for a copy of their freeware _WebSuite Start_ software. They offer this early version of their current OPAC/ILS product as a familiarization or introductory approach to their products. It imports MARC or database output files and builds a very effective HTML access approach. In fact, when you use it, it seems almost like you're using a regular commercial OPAC, and not an HTML kludge. Fast string searches, easy display of other items under that subject heading, etc.

For a look at what a couple of sizeable information operations have done with this freeware product, check out...

Commonwealth of Learning Information Resource Centre <http://www.col.org/irc/irc.htm>, Vancouver, BC. This is quite an installation. For their statement on _WebSuite Start_, see <http://www.col.org/irc/best.htm>. This page contains,
"The software selected, called WebSuite, includes a cataloguing module, an online public access catalogue (OPAC), database configuration and conversion tools and a serials control module. It is produced by a Canadian company, Best-Seller Inc., which is a leading North American supplier of year-2000 compliant library software and services. WebSuite is aimed primarily at small libraries although the company produces software for large libraries operating on UNIX or NT platforms.

As an introduction and/or for libraries wishing to create an entry-level, web-based OPAC from their catalogue, Best-Seller offers its WebSuite Start programme as a free-of-charge download. The software includes a configuration tool to convert an existing catalogue (MARC, dbase format, ASCII label, or ODBC) to a web-ready OPAC; a keyword search engine with boolean operators ("and", "or", "begins with"); Bibcat, a cataloguing tool for bibliographic records; Sitecat, a cataloguing tool for Web sites; and WebSuite Start Server, a standard http server that can run on all windows platforms."

For a text-oriented application of a similar sort, look at the Washington State Library's GILS search of Washington state documents, at <http://198.239.85.151/wagils/dbw1.htm>. This is the same _Websuite Start_ engine in a slightly different implementation. Their background page is at <http://198.239.85.151/wagils/>.

This is a very effective little piece of effective (and free) software. BestSeller doesn't have it downloadable on their Website <http://www.bestseller.com/> anymore. But I got a copy of it in January, 2001, by communicating with their staff...Normand Cardella, Manager, Business Development Support and Communications <ncardella at bestseller.com> or Maria Lipari <mlipari at bestseller.com>.

Cheers,
-ernest
Ernest Perez, Ph.D.
Group Leader