[WEB4LIB] Magic Lantern

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Fri Dec 7 14:06:59 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:55:09AM -0800, Isabel Danforth remarked:
> I was just reading about Magic Lantern software and FBI's use of such items.
>

> http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2001/1203bradner.html
>
> I am wondering where this all fits into patron confidentiality and public
> computers.

Broadly speaking, privacy is under attack - even moreso since
Sept. 11.

Anyone concerned about this should be getting behind the EFF
(Electronic Frontier Foundation) as a lobby group.  At a
personal level, I would be implementing public key encryption
such as PGP or GnuPG for personal email.  All this traffic is
currently being scanned by Carnivore and similar schemes.

As for PC backdoors, the sooner people start training themselves
to use non-compromised operating systems such as Linux, the
better.

Consider it, ummm, an investment. ;>

My $0.02,
Raymond