[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Web Page Use

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Fri Dec 7 10:33:13 EST 2001

    Wow! Now that is a problem and one worthy of solving. Looking at the home page for my old college (www.cwu.edu) I notice they have the same problems as you mention. There is no direct link to the library's site off the main page. Now I know for a fact it wasn't always like that. I chose CWU after browsing through its web page and checking out its library and I remember clearly finding the link straight off the main web page.
    It seemed to me to be a foregone conclusion that a university's library(ies) is the lifeblood of information and research for the student body, if not the entire entity as well. Thus it seemed that a direct link to the library should be easily available. Sadly I see that is not the case, not even with my alma mater. Along with statistical tactics, which I'm told work very well against marketing and business folk, you might also look into rallying some further student and faculty support. Maybe if the marketing and PR people were to be bombarded by a ton of e-mail from students and staff about how the web site needs direct linkage to the library, they may open their eyes. If nothing else, it'll give you some firepower for those meetings. If needed, you could have each person who sends the e-mail CC it to you so you also have the
copies.
    I learned many things in college and some of the best lessons never came from a book. One of those lessons was that, if you really want to win, deal with the enemy (i.e. the dean, the bureaucracy, the department, etc.) using similar tactics to their own.

Good luck!
Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson