DHTML alternatives to Javascript?

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Dec 12 14:42:14 EST 2001

Since there are those of you out there who have consciously turned off the
Javascript engines in browsers - what alternative recommendations do you
have for delivering a page with dynamic content?  With Javascript turned
off we will make the assumption that Java has been disabled for similar
reasons.

Let me narrow the field a little first:

I'm working with a server I on which I do not have administrative access.
The server supports only SafePerl and SSI for server-side processing. The
server is running on an installation of Solaris (sorry, I don't know which
version). The sysadmin hopes to be able to offer PHP but, has not yet
successfully compiled PHP to run on this installation. (If anybody has any
tips or binaries we'll be glad to hear them).

You can rule out ASP. At present the ONLY means of generating dynamic
content server-side is SafePerl.

(Yes, Peter, you know this server.)

A typical example would be dynamic menuing.  Mouseover the heading and
relevant content or a sub-menu is made visible. We're targeting an 800x600
display, are being strongly encouraged to prevent scrolling, and have all
of the usual demands for too much content for one page to handle in the
space allowed.

Thanks,
Keith

D. Keith Higgs. Email: dkh2 at po.cwru.edu, dkhiggs at yahoo.com
Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
More Info: http://www.cwru.edu/UL/pershomepages/K_Higgs.html