[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Web Page Use

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Dec 8 19:59:36 EST 2001

Friday, December 07, 2001, 8:38:28 AM, you wrote:

DM>     It seemed to me to be a foregone conclusion that a university's library(ies) is
DM> the lifeblood of information and research for the student body, if not the entire
DM> entity as well. Thus it seemed that a direct link to the library should be easily
DM> available. Sadly I see that is not the case, not even with my alma mater.

Having just worked with a library committee that has reviewed many
institutional websites in a project, our conclusion was that the
library was (in general) on the home page of the colleges or
universities that were:
1. Smaller, where the library was the heart of the college, and where
there weren't a bushel of other things competing with the library.  OR
2. Big and famous, and had famous libraries, with that fame often as
great as that of the institution itself.

Sure, there are exceptions.  Boise State illustrates this by looking
at www.boisestate.edu.  The library isn't on the home page, but is
linked under three different top level links.

dan
--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA