Question about Turnitin.com

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Mon Dec 3 08:49:42 EST 2001

> From: Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
>     I've got to agree here. This does seem to be more the
job for a support office
> or even (horror of horrors) the faculty member themselves.
I breezed on over to
> Turnitin's website and checked out what I could of their
system (we don't subscribe)
> and, advertising jibba jabba aside, it looked
semi-friendly.

Just to clarify: though I think help in finding the source
of a possibly plagarized paper is an appropriate question
for a librarian, using turnitin.com SHOULD be the job of
the professor.

Sadly though, finding the source for plagarized papers is
often as easy as putting quoted text from the paper into
AltaVista or Google.  I'm sure the formal plagarism
detection software is more helpful, but just typing an
unusual phrase from a paper into a regular web search
engine will do the job just fine in many cases.

Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries
spober at manhattan.edu