[WEB4LIB] Results/solution Re: Scripting needed to resolve live

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Dec 4 14:14:56 EST 2001

> The exceedingly simple end result (as pointed to by Peter Murray) is to
> always, Always, _ALWAYS_ include the height= and width= attributes in
your
> img tags.
>
> Many browsers do not render a table until they have all of the
information...

Alternatively, avoid table-based page layouts.

> This last (image fails) situation underscores the importance of the
> alt="Alternate Text" and longdesc="This is a picture of ..." attributes.
In
> most browsers failure to load the image will display the ALT
> text.  Additionally, talking browsers can speak the content of the
> longdesc= for the benefit of your visually impaired users (important for
> ADA compliance).

To clarify: the longdesc attribute contains the URL of a page that
provides a substantive description of the image.  Speaking browsers may
opt to read the alt or title attributes (or both).  IMO, longdesc isn't
necessary for icons, etc., whose meaning can be grasped from a brief
title.

Mozilla-based browsers, including Netscape 6.2, provide a link to the
longdesc page under the context menu's image properties.  I don't know of
any other browser that touches longdesc.

☮
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu