Question about turnitin.com

Ellen Andes EAndes at rbc.edu
Sun Dec 2 14:38:58 EST 2001

I was recently asked by our provost to provide information for our faculty
on tracking down plagiarism.  I willingly provided them with information on
Plagiarism Software (including turnitin.com)  and also sites with
information on plagiarism - for instance on how to teach students to avoid
plagiarism and how to best deal with this whole issue. Shortly after
providing this information, a professor came in with an essay that she felt
a student could not have written and asked us to try to find out if he/she
had copied it from the Internet or elsewhere.  I feel strongly that this is
not our job.  I am happy to track down references as provided, but the
professor needs to make the call on the issue of plagiarism. This is not a
job that we as librarians should take on.    This should be handled at a
departmental  or division level.

Ellen C. Andes
Reference & Circulation
Richard Bland College Library