IE and remembering URLs

Vicki Falkland library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 22:41:58 EDT 2001

Hi folks,

I searched the archive and came across the following post from Feb 2000:

> I was making an online purchase and it rembered my Mastercard number and
> inserted it in different sites at a later date. Even though I was very
> careful
> to clear the cache, history, and other locations of pertinent pages.
> I don't have to explain the problems with this now....

The response to this was to turn off the AutoComplete function.

However, what I am trying to find out is:
Is this the same function that remembers what has been typed in the
location bar?
Reason I ask: I can start to type a URL in the location bar, IE remembers
it and completes it. But when I look in c:\windows\history that particular
URL is not actually there (the previous user has removed it ..??).
where does IE keep this information? Is it a file somewhere? Is it
accessible? How does it do this?
(IE5, win98)

thanks,
Vicki

Information Technology Support Officer

J.W. Grieve Library
Royal Children's Hospital Library Service
Flemington Rd, Parkville, Vic, 3052
Ph: (03) 9345 7010
Fax: (03) 9347 8421
Email: library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au