[WEB4LIB] Re: free form mailer

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed Aug 8 15:01:36 EDT 2001

On 8 Aug 2001, at 11:23, McCoy, Thomas wrote:

You raise a number of issues here.  I will try to clarify each as best I
can...

> FormMail requires that Sendmail be installed on the server.

Not necessarily.  Sendmail (a so-called 'MTA' ['Mail Transport
Agent']) is typically the default on UNIX systems, and FormMail is
written with Sendmail in mind.  So the first question would be: are
the servers in question running a Unix operating system?  If not, see
last paragraph of my email below.  If yes, read on.

If Sendmail is not installed on your Unix server, then typically there
will be an alternative MTA.  The FormMail script can be easily
modified to accomodate this (a fellow in our office just offered to do it;
estimated time = 5 mintues :) if need be.  So you would need to
clarify which MTA is being used on the server in question.

For further info, see the URL below (item 1, sub-section 2):
  http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/faq/formmail.shtml

> Our server does
> not have this Perl component...

Careful - sendmail is not a perl component.  The two are separate
and distinct.  The former is an MTA; the latter is a scripting
language.  So, for instance, you could easily have a situation where
sendmail is not installed but perl is, or vice versa.

> I was told it was left off because hackers

I assume you mean 'crackers' here.  (Crackers are malicious, while
hackers are not).

> can use it to gain access to the server.  Is this true?

The short answer is no.

Security in general requires an ongoing effort - it is a constantly
changing landscape.  Sendmail, like many many applications, has
been 'exploited' in the past by system crackers to gain unauthorized
access.  AFAIK, however, there have been no sendmail-based
exploits for quite some time (i.e. a few years) and that's as good a
record as anyone can expect.

So if you are running a Unix server, sendmail may not be installed
but other MTA's may be available. The next step is to clarify this.

Another possibility is that the server in question is not running Unix
(unfortunate, but it does sometimes occur  :)  Fortunately, the
FormMail script has also been ported to less fortunate operating
systems <grin> - see this URL for more info (see section entitled
'Ports of FormMail to other Operating Systems'):
  http://worldwidemart.com/scripts/formmail.shtml

Hope that helps,
Raymond

--
"Freedom is no longer available for free."
  (recent 'newspeak' from ZeroKnowledge Systems)