[WEB4LIB] Floppy disks in the Library

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:44:35 EDT 2001

"Tasmin R. Mills" wrote:

> I would like to know if there are any libraries that have a policy about
> patrons bringing floppy disks from home.  We are experiencing the problem
> of floppy disks getting stuck in computers and patrons and staff forcibly
> trying to remove them.  It is difficult to educate patrons on proper floppy
> care but I see that it needs to be done.

We allow patrons to bring their own disks for data/files, but not programs
(The Windows NT registry is set up to prevent running any outside programs)

We haven't had too many cases of disks getting stuck, although there are
occasionally disks that generate errors. (Swapping disks while in Microsoft
Word is a *bad*idea*, folks). Also cheap disks that fall apart (lose their
shutters, etc).

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library